5 x 1” SINGLE HANDLE FILE
GPS - DOUBLE SIDED
Unlike the folding variety of small diamond files from other manufacturers, the Diamond Cross 5” File is a sturdier “General Purpose” file. As with the rest of the Diamond Cross file range, they have a single solid piece of 1/16th Stainless Steel at their core which runs right through under the handle providing a comfortably robust feeling. The DC 5” File can be used for sharpening any number of different tools found in the kitchen, workshop or garden shed.
Price: $22.50 USD
- FREE SHIPPING - Orders over $50USD within the 48 Contiguous US States
Shipped from Michigan, USA.
5” FILE FEATURES
- GPS - General Purpose Stone The 5” File is one of three Diamond Cross designs designated as GPS – General Purpose Stone. The GPS are extremely versatile providing the ability to sharpen a huge array of tools.
- Handy Size Small but perfectly formed the 5 x 1” is just as at home in the kitchen drawer as in an “Old Pros workshop”.
- Double Sided 300-600 Grit
Many manufacturers produce single sided diamond stones. However we thought that as the cost of the Stainless steel remains the same for a single or double sided. We’d go the extra distance and make all our diamond stones double sided.
Side One Coarse 50Micron or 300 grit diamond grade
Ideal for the preparation of the edge.
Side Two Fine 25Micron or 600 grit diamond grade
Used for honing a primary edge.
- Solid 1/16” Thick Anti Rust Stainless Steel Core The majority of diamond stones on the market are manufactured in steel. However Diamond Cross stones are manufactured in stainless steel - the superior “non rusting” option.
- Quality Assured Every 5” File is assembled and has to pass a rigorous “Quality Assurance” inspection at our factory in Wiltshire, UK . Guaranteeing every diamond stone is perfect prior to packaging and despatch.
- 3 Year Guarantee We are so confident of the build quality of our new Diamond Cross range of sharpening stones. That each stone is backed by a “no fuss” 3 year extended guarantee.
- Diamond Cross Patterned Recess The Highly distinctive DC embossed patterned recesses provides the perfect balance between the ultra hardwearing diamond coverage and anti clog properties of the pattern.
- In Surface Grit Iindicator All Diamond Cross sharpening stones are double sided, In order to identify the diamond grade. each side of the stone has a large number embedded in the surface stating the grit size.
5X1 FILE APPLICATIONS
- Kitchen Knives: From a large carving knife to a paring or filleting knife - The GPS 5” File can cope with all sorts of different sizes and styles.
- Scissors: It’s incredible to think that most scissors in the world never get sharpened. With just a few sharpening strokes and a pair of scissors destined for the trash can be transformed and provide years more useful service.
- Saw Blades: Both Tungsten Tipped blades and High speed steel can be sharpened using the GPS 5” File. The 5” length enables a longer sharpening stroke leaving each tooth sharp as the day it was bought all with minimum effort.
- Craft Knives: For those who have yet to discover sharpening, The craft knife is a great invention. Simply replacing or snapping off the next section of blade gives you a fresh edge. However There's a bigger advantage to be had - Re-sharpening the blade. Literally 3 or 4 sharpening strokes and the blade is sharper than when first unwrapped. So resist the urge to snap off an old section of blade and freshen it up with the DC 5” .
- Garden Shears: The GPS 5” File is equally at home sharpening tools in the garden.
- Blunt Tools Some folk put up with the horrible results of using blunt garden tools. Their secateurs, hedge clippers, shears and edge trimmers don’t need to be tough to use. Show your garden tools some love - Sharpen them!
Hints and Tips:
- Bedding InAll new diamond stones feel very coarse to the touch regardless of the micron or grit size of the diamond used. This is a result of the plating process and is quite normal. After the first couple of times being used. The stone will bed in and the difference in grit will become more apparent.
- No PressureGuilty as charged, I have always used too much pressure when sharpening on Diamond stones.
It is absolutely the case that an easy light pressured sharpening stroke is all that is required to gain optimal performance from any of the Diamond stones. To use too much pressure can tear the diamond particles from the nickel bed - compromising the performance of the diamond stone and reducing its serviceable life dramatically.
- LubricationAgain it's really down to personal preference as Diamond Cross sharpening stones can be used dry. We do recommend using a lubricant. Water works well or a purpose design lapping fluid but really it’s down to personal choice.
- Dangerous ToolsWarning by the very nature of the tools being sharpened i.e they are ALL designed to cut something. They can be, in the wrong hands, very dangerous especially for the young, inexperienced or untrained. We highly recommend only experienced users attempt to sharpen tools.